Sunday, June 21, 2009

Back to reality

Back home, back in classes, back to reality. A friend was confused when I said something about "writing for my class" and say "but...you're the teacher now, right?" Yes and no. I'm slowly inching my way towards a Master's degree in ESL (English as a second language). There are a lot of teachers taking up to three classes at a time. Not me, I'll stick with just one at a time but slow and steady gets the job done, eh?

Another friend asked me about my book (see in the column to the right) "I thought you self published that...it looks a lot like an Interweave book. And, do you really have 20 patterns in there? I read through it and they look a lot alike." Ok, let me explain:
The Cover - it looks like an Interweave cover because my sister did the front cover and cover photo as a gift for me. She worked as a graphic artist for Interweave Press for many years before moving on about a year or so ago to another company. That's her layout which she also used many times while at IP.
The Patterns - I am re-doing the charts and instructions using Knit Visualizer. They will be much better. The reason I only have a few single patterns at martaschmarta is because I'm adding each of the patterns as singles as I improve them. As I mention in the opening of the book, all of these designs are based on historical garments so they might look a lot like other things you've seen in books as the motifs have been around for hundreds of years...I mean a sock is still a basic sock but that's not what you're paying for in a pattern. I researched geographical areas and the patterns most prevalent in history for that area and named the item for it. There are commonalities between type of project and between themed projects:
The hats, kilt hose, scarves and socks (toe-up and toe-down) are all the same basic construction, respectively. Hence, at the end of the hat and kilt hose chapters you will find a "Making It Your Own" chart and instructions so you can take that basic construction and customize it. I guess I kind of assumed the knitter with the skills appropriate to use this book would already know how to adjust their socks and scarves to suit their preferences. The "Making It Your Own" for kilt hose can always serve to note differences for socks easily enough, too.
The hats and scarves are paired in style and have matching names. The scarves include instructions for both a modern style and a seaman's style with a ribbed neck. They are Armadale, Dunvegan, Rowallan (my personal favorite) and Stirling. So, four designs and three constructions (hat, modern scarf and seaman's scarf).
The kilt hose and socks are paired (tripled, actually) in style and have matching names. The socks have instructions for cuff-down and toe-up. They are Banais (my personal favorite of this batch), Edinburgh, Filey and Hebrides. So, four designs and three constructions (kilt hose, toe-up sock and cuff-down sock). And, let me say this: Doing the Edinburgh cuff-down after having it originally designed in the other direction for kilt hose was quite an adventure.
I hope that clears up some questions. Please, please don't hesitate to ask about anything, though, I would rather address things and am very open to suggestions.

Thus, I leave you to return to this:

In my rocker with my Ladybug from Amy at Spunky Eclectic, my Kindle, and my knitting...and sometimes my laptop.

2 comments:

scullerymaid said...

y'know, that's the first time I've seen a Kindle with a person in the photo. Well, part of a person! :) It's a lot bigger than I thought. I always thought the screen would be so tiny it would be annoying to scroll all the time, but that doesn't look half bad. hmmmmm. gadgets.

Joann said...

Ah, multi-tasking - ain't it great? :)